Wednesday, August 24, 2011

BELLS! BELLS!! BELLS!!!

As you dancin’ guys know, it takes bells to dance – especially to Chicken Dance. Great bells are certainly an item of pride and admiration, bringing you dancin’ joy for as long as you own them. They are among the list of “must haves” in a set of quality Chicken Dance clothes.

You all know how it works – the items which bring our dance clothes the most attention are:

  1. choice feathers (anywhere we’re wearing them)
  2. a sweet roach
  3. beautiful beadwork
  4. a keen bustle
  5. boss bells
  6. and a nice pair of moccasins

Everything else is just fill.

Well, the Senior Crazy Dogs have been working long and hard to find lots of these items, for both themselves and for any of their pack – you guys.

Ryan (and lovely Linda) are making sweet roaches; Greg is a possessed plume hunter – finding feathers wherever they’re to be found; Spencer has tapped into a great source for beautiful beadwork and he makes some keen bustles; and I seem to have an addiction for bells, especially really boss antique bells.

Which is where this post started: BELLS! BELLS!! BELLS!!!

Over the last few years I’ve been buying quality bells on Ebay, mostly antiques; a few here, more there.

Only the bargains – I’m not one to pay ‘retail’. Well, since I kept buying and buying I’ve been able to put together enough bells for sets – leg sets and ankle sets. I find a single strap of “leg” bells takes at least 20 bells (x 2 = 40+ matching bells) and a single strap of ankle bells might require 6-8 bells, depending on the size of them (x2 = 12-16 matching larger bells). Even ‘bargain shopping’ antique bells aren’t ‘cheap’. And I’ve had to stay away from the really popular bells as they are always the most expensive. I’ve paid in ballpark of $3-$4 each for the leg bells and from $8 to $15 each for the bigger ankle bells (including the shipping cost). And once the bells arrive they still need to be cleaned, polished and remounted onto new leather.

Quality new bells are less expensive, and while they don’t need cleaning and polishing, they do need stringing.

Here’s my offer: if you’re wanting a set of the best of bells , and you’ve got a birthday or holiday present coming to you, I’ll be happy to let you guys have a set of antique bells I’ve amassed for what I paid for them. You’ll have to clean, polish and restring them, but you won’t have to try and come up with an entire set for as cheap as possible – I’ve already done that, which is no easy or quick task. If/when you’re ready, I can send photos of the different sets of bells I’ve amassed (I think I’ve bought enough various auction lots of antique bells to make 7 or 8 complete sets) and we can talk about what you need, want and can afford.

And if you’d rather new bells – costing less money, I’ll be happy to help you find and acquire sets of those, too. I’m sure we can come up with a set that doesn’t scream “Crazy Crow!” You’ll have to string ‘em, or get someone other than me to do it for you.

I’m not trying to make a buck; I’m trying to get you guys as well-dressed as your budgets will permit.

All of the Dogs are here to help you get well-dressed. And good dance clothes will last your life time, if you buy quality and take good care of them.

That’s all from this bell junkie.

Tim (tao.jones@att.net)